All instructors and assistants working with Lycoming College for Kids & Teens are at least 18 years of age and have the following state and federal background clearances prior to employment.
Pursuant to the Pennsylvania statute commonly known as Act 153, Lycoming College must require applicants for specified positions to submit to the College certain background check reports or clearances prior to beginning employment, except for provisional employment addressed below.
The three required Pennsylvania clearances are as follows:
- Criminal Record Check (Act 34)
- Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151)
- FBI Federal Criminal History (Act 114)
Act 153 prohibits Lycoming College from employing an individual who:
- Is the perpetrator of a founded report of child abuse within the five (5) year period immediately preceding the verification, or
- Has been convicted of the criminal offenses specified in Act 153, which are listed on the attached Certification for Provisional Employment in Compliance with Act 153.
There are no exceptions under Act 153.
Apart from the provisions of Act 153, Lycoming College may decline to employ an applicant based on other offenses reported in the clearances depending upon the nature of the position, the nature of the offense and the proximity of the offense to employment.
Pursuant to Act 153, the College may employ you on a provisional basis for a single period not to exceed 90 days, if certain conditions are met before beginning provisional employment. These conditions include the following:
- You have applied for the required clearances and provided the College with the completed requested forms, and
- You have completed and signed the Certificate for Provisional Employment in Compliance with Act 153, a copy of which is attached.
If the clearances reveal offenses that disqualify you from employment, you will be immediately dismissed from employment. If for any reason the results of the clearances are not received within the 90-day provisional employment period, your employment will be terminated immediately.